No matter what type of field or data dimension you want to analyze or what type of visualization you want to use, all widgets start with the same few steps, and have some common features.
To create a widget
- To access the Widget Editor, open a dashboard and click the plus sign at the top of the right side navigation to add a widget.
- In the Widget Editor that appears, in the list of data fields on the left, select a field.
A number of things happen when you select a field.
- The selected field appears above the widget workspace under Data Dimensions.
- A space for another Data Dimension appears next to it.
- Depending on the type of field you select, spaces may appear for Size and Color dimensions that you can add to the widget.
- The default visualization type for the data type of the selected field appears in the workspace and populates with data.
- The Visualization tab of the settings panel to the right updates to show only those visualization types that you can use with the selected field.
- An Options section appears below the Visualization section, showing any options that apply to the selected visualization type.
- Click the selected field to edit any available options such as aggregation, formatting, grouping, and whether the field is numerical or textual.
- When you have finished setting up the widget to your satisfaction, above the workspace to the left, click Save.