Groups allow you to group textual data for more meaningful insights. For example, if you have location data that is not grouped, you can manually add groups and select locations to add to each group. When you create groups, they are added to the Calculated Fields section of the Fields panel in the Widget Editor. In this example, we use the locationString field returned from the Social Intelligence connector to create location-based groups.
- In the Widget Editor, in the Fields panel to the left, under Original Fields, select your location field.
- On the Dimensions shelf, click the drop-down arrow for the location field and click Add Group.
- In the Create Groups dialog that appears, for the title at the top, click the pencil icon to update the name of the groups. This appears in the Fields panel under Calculated Fields, and in the header row of the table.
- Click Create New Group.
- Replace the text "new group 1" with a name for your new group, for example, Southern States
- In the Ungrouped Values panel to the right, select values to add to the group.
- Click Add to and select the group name.
The values are removed from the list and are nested under the selected group
To create a group on the fly, select ungrouped values, click Add to, and select New group.
The values are added to a new group that you can rename.Continue until you are satisfied with your groups, and then click Submit.
To edit your groups, or the title of the groups field, on the Dimensions shelf, click the data dimension and select Customize.
Click the red x next to any value to remove it from a group, or click the trash can icon to delete any group.
- Above the Widget Editor, click Save.
- Back on your dashboard, you can click one of the groups to filter your dashboard.
All of the other widgets on your dashboard update to reflect only results from the selected group, and the filter appears at the top right corner of the dashboard in the filter panel
- To remove the filter, click the x next to it in the filter panel.