What are dimension groups?
Dimension Groups allow you to group textual data for more meaningful insights. For example, if you have location data that is not grouped, you can manually add groups and select locations to add to each group. When you create groups, they are added to the Calculated Fields section of the Fields panel in the Widget Editor.
How to create dimension groups
In this example, we will be using a text field called “STATE” to create groups of US States.
- In the Widget Editor, in the Fields panel, select a textual field
- On the Dimensions shelf, click the drop-down arrow for the text field you selected and click Create Groups.
- In the Create Groups window that appears, for the name of the field that you selected at the top, click the pencil icon to update the name of the groups. This will be the name of a new field that appears under “Other Fields” in the fields panel.
- Click Create New Group.
- Replace the default text “new group 1” with a name for your new group. In this example, we use "Southeast".
- In the Ungrouped Values panel to the right, select values to add to the new group.
- Open the Actions drop down menu, click Add to and then select Southeast.
Note that the selected values are removed from the ungrouped list and are nested under the Southeast group.
- Create a second group, for example, Northwest, and add values to it.
To create a group on the fly, select ungrouped values, click Actions, Add to, and select New group.
The values are added to a new group that you can rename.
- Continue until you are satisfied with your groups, then click Submit.
Editing your Groups
1. To edit your groups, or the title of the groups field, on the Dimensions shelf, click the data field and select Customize.
2. Click the X next to any value to remove it from a group, or click the trash can icon to delete any group.
3. Back on your workspace, you can click one of the groups to filter your dashboard.
The other widgets on your workspace update to reflect only results from the selected group, and the filter appears at the top of the dashboard where you normally find Global Filters.
4. To remove the filter, click the X on the title of the filter.
We're here to help! Don't hesitate to contact us for further assistance via chat or submit a ticket!